Wednesday, December 27, 2006

How it all started

It was another Sunday morning. And as all Sunday mornings, there I was, all bored is my pajamas, staring at my computer screen. It was not like I had nothing to do, as my bed was messy, my house was dirty and lots of dishes needed cleaning, but I needed something fun to do. I tried playing Smash Bros Melee, but it was not really fun to play alone... so there I stayed, looking for something to do and really doing nothing at all. After lunch, Hyu popped online and I asked what he was doing:

Hyu: Playing Final Fantasy.
Jessie: Oh, my God... not again! Aren't you tired of playing that all the time?
Hyu: Not really.

And that's when the curiosity seed found its fertile soil. I missed doing fun stuff with Hyu, because most of what we did together was school work.

Jessie: Hmmm... I wanna see that game.
Hyu: Next time you come to my place, I'll show you...
Jessie: Ok

After that, I forgot about it a bit, as school made me busy. But the curiosity came back with all its strenght on the barbecue that Hyu threw to celebrate the end of the semester. After a long day of eating meat, cake and ice cream and playing some soccer and volley, we were sitting at Hyu's room when he decides to show us Final Fantasy XI.
I watched as he logged on, fast clicking on some buttons. And there it was his char: a tall guy with that long neck and white hair. He logged on him and suddenly there he was in some odd street.

Jessie: Wow... Nice graphics!
Hyu: Yeah. Now look at this...

And with that he started typing "/wave motion" and his char waved at us. Then he typed "/bow motion" and his char bowed at us. Then he went crazy and started going "/cheer motion", "/joy motion" and so on. I was amazed looking at his char doing all those cute motions. So at that moment I found that I needed it. I had to start playing Final Fantasy XI.

Jessie: Uh... how do I start playing that?
Hyu: Well, it is a paid game so you have to make an account and it is U$12 per month.
Jessie: Oh... hmm... and how do you pay for it?
Hyu: Credit card.
Jessie: Damn! Can I borrow your credit card? I pay you back monthly!
Hyu: Are you sure?
Jessie: Yeah!
Hyu: Ok. Well, then I think you also need the game. I don't know if you can create a new account with the same CD-Key I did.
Jessie: Hmmm. Let's try!

So we installed his Final Fantasy CDs on his brother computer and tried making an account for me. At some point, it asked for the CD-Keys.

Jessie: Uh oh...
Hyu: Damn. Try putting my CD-Key.

I typed his CD-Key and it showed a screen saying that the CD-Key I entered was already in use. I sighed, feeling all the excitement in starting a new game go away.

Jessie: ... not good...
Hyu: Yeah. So you really need to buy the games.
Jessie: ............ and where can I buy it?
Hyu: No idea. I brought mine from Canada.

A quick search on the Internet showed me that it was impossible to get one copy of Final Fantasy in Brazil. The only two I found in Mercado Livre (our eBay site) were pre-owned and for PlayStation 2. I started getting sad. The perspective of me playing were at least a month away, being optimistic with the time for importing, specially the mail speed. All my excitement had gone poof. I would die from curiosity before I was able to play it.

Jessie: ... I so wanted to play it right now...
Hyu: Yeah, it would be nice.
Jessie: ........
Hyu: Hey... I remember now! There is a friend of mine that stopped playing it. Maybe he could sell his game to you?

And there I was all excited again.

Jessie: You think he would sell it? Talk to him!
Hyu: Well, he is not online at the moment. But he must log on soon. He is always online. If he agree to it, you just have to install my CDs and he gives you his CD-keys and you are all good to go!
Jessie: Great! I hope he logs soon. But I better get going... Gimme the CDs!

So, then I went home with all CDs, hoping that by the time I got home, Hyu's friend would have already logged and I would be able to play Final Fantasy...



Will our heroine be able to play Final Fantasy any soon? Will she defeat the boredom monster? The answer for that and much more you can find in this story sequel! Soon in a bookstore near you!

No comments: